posted Sep 22, 2011, 12:47 PM by Eric Greenbaum
Filing an application to register your trademark with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (U.S.P.T.O.) is a relatively quick and easy way to obtain substantial IP protection for your business. While common-law trademark rights can be perfected simply by using the mark in commerce, federal registration provides substantial additional benefits including:
- Public notice of your claim of ownership of the mark;
- A legal presumption of your ownership of the mark and your exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration;
- The ability to bring an action concerning the mark in federal court;
- The use of the U.S. registration as a basis to obtain registration in foreign countries;
- The ability to record the U.S. registration with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Service to prevent importation of infringing foreign goods;
- The right to use the federal registration symbol ® and
- Listing in the United States Patent and Trademark Office’s online databases.
Greenbaum PC would be glad to assist you in filing your federal trademark application. Call us today!